When it comes to dental care, NHS and private dentists both have their pros and cons, and choosing the right one can often come down to your budget, dental work needs, and personal preferences.
Let Yorkshire Dental Suite walk you through the differences between NHS and private dentists to help you make an informed decision.
What’s the difference between an NHS dentist and a private one?
- If you are a UK resident, you’re entitled to receive government-subsidised dental treatment from an NHS dentist. They offer a range of services, such as check-ups, fillings, extractions, and root canals, and their charges are fixed, regardless of the treatment that you need.
- A private dentist, such as YDS, will offer a wider range of services, including cosmetic treatments, and more flexible opening hours than NHS dentists.
- The big difference between NHS and private dentists is the cost. NHS dentists charge a fixed rate for each treatment, regardless of the complexity of the procedure.
- Private dentists, on the other hand, charge higher fees, especially for more advanced treatments, but the quality of service tends to be much higher too.
YDS are also part of the Fair Price Charter and offer monthly dental plans to make the cost of private dental treatments more affordable.
- NHS dentists typically have much longer waiting times for routine appointments, especially in the Yorkshire area.
- Private dentists, such as us, usually have much shorter waiting times and can offer more flexible appointment times.
- NHS dentists only offer a basic range of dental treatments, such as check-ups, fillings, and extractions.
- Private dentists have more treatment options and can offer a wider range of services to meet their patients’ needs.
Is it better to go to an NHS or private dentist?
This all depends on your budget, dental needs, and personal preferences. If you have a limited budget and need basic dental care, an NHS dentist may be the right choice for you. However, If you want more advanced treatments (e.g. porcelain veneers) or have specific dental needs, YDS would a better option.
Yorkshire Dental Suite: For All Your Dental Needs
As the highest-rated dentist in the UK, we can confidently say that whatever your dental needs are, we can deliver 5-star results every single time.
Take a look at our range of cosmetic dental treatments and speak to our expert staff if you have any questions.